Family Planning is contracted by the Ministry of Health to provide 6 hours free 1:1 clinical training in Mirena insertion for a limited number of community based doctors who are experienced in Intrauterine Device insertion.
This course is for experienced IUD fitting doctors wishing to gain skills in Mirena insertion.
Training will occur in a specific Family Planning Clinic at time arranged with doctor.
Registration is by arrangement with Dr Christine Roke, Family Planning Clinical Training & Development in Auckland.
Please send completed Registration Form to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax (09) 522 0130
Download Registration Form
Pre requisites for Mirena insertion training for experienced IUD inserting doctors
- Full New Zealand Medical Registration
- Current Practicing Certificate
- Current Indemnity Insurance
- Have attended CPR and anaphylaxis training with last 3 years
- Be competent in inserting copper IUDs.
- Be able to work with a Family Planning clinical trainer, in a Family planning Clinic, to manage a consultation and fit up to 5 supervised Mirenas IUSs.
- Be able to fit at least 10 IUDs post training, per year to maintain competence
- Complete the training within one calendar year
- Be working in a community based practice
Please note that if you are receiving funding for a training programme, e.g. GP registrar, you are not eligible for free training.
As places are restricted, MOH has established a hierarchy for priority access to this course as follows
- Maori doctors working for Maori providers
- Non Maori doctors working for Maori providers
- Pacific island doctors working for Pacific providers
- Non Pacific Island doctors working for Pacific providers
- Maori doctors working for health service providers
- Community/rural/urban doctors for example General Practitioners
Please note as we are trying to clear the backlog of a very long waiting list, we are requesting that you only apply if you meet two criteria out of the above six.